The first challenge to getting exercise is getting out, and often the best way to do that is to commit to something or somebody, rather than going it alone.
Group exercises offer more than just exercise. Comradery and friendly competition are encouraging. A few years ago I signed up for a small Pilates class. It was small enough that if I didn’t show up it would be noticed and the few times I felt like bailing out, the thought of my classmates noticing my absence spurred me on. I am not the most competitive person, but I hate to be on the bottom of the pack. I would work extra hard to make sure that didn’t happen.
Getting physical doesn’t have to mean a ‘fitness’ class. It might mean bicycle touring, dancing, martial arts, tennis, hiking or sailing… you decide what motivates you to move.
Here are some great reasons to take a class:
- You’ll meet people with common goals, and group support can be very motivating.
- It’s good for you. You’ll get fit and healthy.
- It makes you more likely to stick with it. If you have a schedule to follow, you may be more likely to show up.
- You will have expert for an instructor. It is important to learn how to exercise correctly and safely.
- If you miss a class, someone will notice.
- It’s downright fun!
Perhaps these local classes are of interest to you!