An Introduction to Working with Hand Tools and Power Tools
This five-day introductory course is intended to build confidence, demystify woodworking through the use of hand tools and power tools, and get students excited to work with wood on their own. The class project will be a serving tray. Different design and construction elements will be examined with the final design being determined by the student.
The class is also planning a guided trip to our fabulous and friendly local wood supplier, Edensaw.
This class is intended to give you a broad overview of different approaches to woodworking through exposure to a combination of hand tools and power tools. Topics include:
1. Understanding the nature of wood as a material
- How to read grain
- How wood moves
- How to select for stability and function
2. Introduction to hand tools
- How to use a hand saw
- Lay out for precision joinery
- Finish a joint with a chisel
- Use a hand plane to create smooth finished surfaces
- Joint a board (make a straight edge)
3. Techniques for joining wood together with joinery and power tools
4. Overview of power tools and stationary machines
- Chop saw
- Drill press
- Cordless drills/bits
And if time:
- Drum sander
5. Introduction to the lumber yard: a trip to Edensaw Hardwoods
More questions? Ask Martha
You do not need to bring any tools for this class
Enthusiasm and a passion to learn woodworking. And smiles!
Class Information and Registration
Class runs from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday in Building #315.
Materials Charge: $ 50