About This Workshop
Explore the vital role of user research!
Despite what many might think, getting to the heart of user experiences isn’t easy. It’s a cerebral adventure that requires preparation, innovative methods, artful interviewing skills, sharp analysis, and empathy. This bootcamp will teach you how create an effective research plan, manage the logistics, recruit the right participants, craft research questions that unearth meaningful insights, and more. After this class, students will be able to immediately apply their skills to a variety of research projects and leverage research tools and templates now and over time.
This workshop uses a combination of engaging lecture and interactive in-class exercises.
- Learn how to choose the right methods and when to combine methods
- Understand the pros and cons of in-person, remote moderated, and unmoderated research
- Access tools to plan for and organize the logistics of a study
- Gain tips and tricks on where and how to find the right participants
- Learn how to author and arrange a discussion guide to maximize results
- Learn how to craft, pose and sequence questions that unearth meaningful insights
- Understand different interview roles
- Learn how and when to use debrief sheets and why they are important
- Become versed in how to build participant pools for ongoing research
A laptop is recommended.
About the Instructor
Terrance Kirkwood Senior User Experience Researcher,
Terrance Kirkwood is the Senior User Experience Researcher for Microsoft’s Mobile Device Management Team. In addition to his 12 years of UX work at Microsoft, he provides UX consulting to technology startups and mentoring for college and high school students. Terrance holds a master’s degree in Human-Computer Interaction from DePaul University in Chicago.