Over the past five years, 6 out of 10 employers have faced an employee lawsuit, with the majority for wrongful termination. Employers’ chances of winning these suits is a mere 33%, and the average award to an employee is $250,000.
A system of progressive discipline and proper documentation offers protection to the company while creating fairness for the employee. When feedback and coaching have not corrected performance problems, properly documented disciplinary action delivers a stronger message that performance problems must be remedied. Many employees will then change attitudes and behaviors. For those who don’t, companies may then progress in the disciplinary process without worry.
After completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Promote employee fairness and company protection with a six-step disciplinary action process
- Develop a simple yet effective system of recording observations in an ongoing fact file
- Determine the appropriate disciplinary action
- Document disciplinary action thoroughly and accurately
- Deliver disciplinary action to support improved performance