Gain the core management skills you need to succeed!
Successful managers get things done. Learn the art of management that sets you apart—FAST. Using extensive guided role plays, self-audits and in-depth skills exercises, you will explore motivation, delegation, coaching, communication, performance management and leadership.
Take this course to fill your skill gaps and get your team—and your career—to new levels of greatness. Be ready to apply what you learn and return to work with new knowledge, insights and practical methods to help you be a successful and effective new manager.
How You Will Benefit
- Boost your confidence level as a new manager
- Build skills to help employees gain more competence
- Match your leadership style to your employees’ developmental needs
- Develop a climate that fosters motivation and camaraderie
- Prepare to point the way for your team by providing clear vision and direction
- Equip employees with the resources they need to be effective
- Confidently help employees solve problems and overcome barriers
Your Role as Manager
- Discovering the qualities and abilities required for effective management
- Identifying the roles and responsibilities managers perform
- Exploring the contextual issues and challenges that new managers face today
Continuous Performance Management
- Defining the goal of performance management
- Identifying the process and challenges
- Practicing the skills of performance management
- Conducting a self-audit on performance management
Understanding and Appreciating Situational Leadership II®
- Identifying the importance of and requirements for coaching
- Learning the micro-skills of effective coaching
- Confronting problem behaviors in a tactful manner
- Using the AMA Guide to manage a coaching discussion
- Differentiating between coaching and disciplining
Building a Motivational Climate
- Recognizing the manager’s role in employee motivation
- Exploring important elements of the motivational process
- Identifying managerial practices for building a motivational climate
Delegating for Growth and Development
- Describing the types of delegation that managers can engage in
- Assessing your current delegation practices and their challenges
- Recognizing what can and can’t be delegated
- Describing the phases of effective delegation
- Practicing delegation discussion
Managers with one to three years of experience who are seeking additional management training.
Real-world examples. Techniques and tools learned throughout this seminar are based on actual day-to-day interactions between managers and direct reports.
See Ken Blanchard’s Situational Leadership® II (SLII)—a model for developing people and a way for leaders to help their employees become self-reliant achievers. To be truly effective, leaders’ styles must adapt to the skills and commitment of the people they want to influence. With some people, managers have to provide a great deal of direction. With others, encouragement and appreciation trigger the best results. Still others deliver their best when allowed to take the ball and run with it. Situational Leadership® II helps managers become more flexible and responsive to their employees’ needs.
This Seminar Features Blended Learning
AMA Blended Learning combines instructor-led training with online pre- and post-seminar assessments, tune-up courses and other resources to maximize your training goals. Through a blend of proven instructor-led seminars and powerful online technology, AMA Blended Learning provides a compelling and more comprehensive experience for the learner—producing a greater return-on-investment for the employer and the seminar participant.
- Self-audits on performance management, technology, coaching, diversity and inclusion, as well as delegation and global awareness
- A process for coaching behavioral challenges
- A process for conducting a delegation discussion
- A self-reflection worksheet on business ethics
- Performance alignment conversations
- An AMA digital asset on motivation
- A motivational climate worksheet
- An AMA digital asset on the process of delegation