This is intended as a follow up to our most popular class, the Mig Welding intensive.
To get professional results out of your machine you must be able to push it through a very broad range of settings. You must be able to use non-standard settings that will not be listed online or printed on the case of the machine to deal with even the most basic welding problems successfully.
You will frequently find your machine is not running correctly. The wire may fail to feed smoothly resulting in choppiness in the weld. You may find that the electrode is either “over-amped” or “overfeeding”. You will very likely find that the chart that outlines good settings for your machine is basically useless, because they always are.
The only remedy is to know how to read the weld puddle and to understand what is happening sufficiently well to adjust accordingly.
We will show you how to:
- Troubleshoot every type of MIG welder
- diagnose weld issues like intermittent continuity failure and intermittent feed
- Select the correct process and electrode
- Set the machine up for very thin and very thick material
- Set up and weld thicker to thinner materials
- Set up for overhead, vertical up and vertical down
- Make MIG welds that look like TIG welds i.e. “stack of dimes” or “NOIIIICE!”
- diagnose input and output power faults
- Patch holes
- Skip weld
- Select the appropriate hand movement and position for a given geometry, like outside corners
- Tricks, black magic and Savagery
- Modify and repair contact tips
This class will drastically increase your competence and comprehension. We STRONGLY advise taking this follow up class if you wish to become a proficient with MIG machines running GMAW and FCAW processes.
This class will incidentally prepare you to select and troubleshoot used equipment, or just equipment that belongs to someone else, someone that does not know how to troubleshoot and set up a machine, someone whom, in short, has not taken this class.
You will also finally understand why harbor freight welding machines are the worst possible variety of unmitigated awful visited upon welder-kind by an uncaring, ancient, and malevolent force that must be stopped.
Welding and the practice of metalwork are very deep technical process, your competence will always be a function of the time and attention you invest in the practice.