This Executive Education seminar will help you become a more effective communicator and decision-maker, learning proven techniques for building and maintaining relationships, applying appropriate power and influence, structuring agreements, and developing buy-in. Strategic Communications and Negotiations examines core decision-making challenges and provides strategies and techniques to effectively engage your colleagues, staff, partners, customers, and clients in collaborative decision-making and negotiations.
Benefits of Attending:
- Examine your core decision-making challenges.
- Achieve your communication goals and maintain critical relationships.
- Use powerful strategies for planning, negotiating and implementing agreements.
- Resolve difficult situations using dispute settlement skills.
- Select the best mix of tools for your personal communication and negotiation style.
- Negotiate successfully with those with more influence and authority.
An Integrated Approach to engaging in Decision-Making:
- Recognizing and responding to differing communication and decision-making styles.
- How to achieve your goals while building and maintaining relationships.
- Key strategies for ensuring that agreements are implemented.
“Lenses” to view and develop Effective Communications:
- Who needs to be engaged and why?
- What is really important and why?
- How do I recognize, create and apply power and influence?
- What is the nature of the relationships involved?
Negotiations and Decision-Making:
- Applying decision-making techniques to negotiation.
- Knowing when engagement is and is not appropriate.
- Managing internal and external relationships when negotiating.
Protocol and Rules of Engagement:
- Identifying and engaging the appropriate partners.
- Ensuring effective representation.
- How to use time and deadlines effectively.
Strategies for Building Solutions and Agreements that work:
- Effective use of formal and informal communication strategies.
- Agreeing on “how” and “why” before “what.”
- Exploring alternatives and crafting packages.
- Moving from concept to detail.
- Developing a single text format and drafting “straw” documents.
- Knowing when to agree and when not to agree
Strategies For Implementation:
- How to build commitment and investment in the agreement.
- How to take the agreement for a “test drive.”
- Creating agreements that can “learn” and evolve.
- When you need an “implementation protocol.”
Customize this seminar for your company:
We can tailor this seminar to meet your key strategic business needs. That way, your employees stay focused on your mission and goals as they learn from University of Washington faculty. We can create in-house versions of any of our three seminars in Finance and Accounting, Business Communication Strategies and Leadership. Or work with Executive Education staff to develop a new program specifically for your company.
Note: Registration deadline is one week prior to start date.