Become a confident and skilled paddler while enjoying beautiful SHILSHOLE BAY.
Learn how to stand up with confidence, learn a solid forward stroke, three turns, how to stop, go sideways, paddle backwards, how to fall safely and get back on the board. At the end of this class you’ll have enough skills and confidence to paddle on your own on flat water and bumps such as boat and wind waves. You’ll also have stronger skills than many paddlers who have been paddling for years.
We will also discuss making smart decisions, how to read the water, day trip planning and on-water risk management. Good balance not required! You may see harbor seals, bald eagles, sea lions & marine life, as well as views of the Olympic Mountains, Mt Rainier, Mt Baker and Bainbridge and Whidbey Islands.
– how to stand with confidence
– two turns plus the pivot turn
– how to go sideways and backwards
– an efficient forward stroke
– how to paddle straight
– how to paddle on one side
– bracing and balance tips
– how to fall and get back on
– how to install a fin and leash
– water safety and risk management
– how to paddle prone & sitting down
– how to paddle injury free
– skills for paddling over boat wakes
– how to paddle in wind
– how to choose gear and clothing
– how to carry your board
– how to car top and rack tips
– where to paddle in the pnw
Every student gets a Class Summary, including strokes covered and tips on improving your paddling. Video Playback may be used to help you learn. The instructor will stay in touch with you after class to assist with finding affordable paddling equipment, tips on where to paddle in the NW and how to improve your skills.
This class is for beginners or those seeking a refresher class. Ideal for those looking to gain a solid foundation of safe and efficient paddling techniques. Groups classes 2-4 people.
** Fee is per person and all gear is included with cost: Stable board, paddle, PFD (life vest), leash, wetsuit, booties, gloves.
What’s the Difference between this class and our 90 minute SUP Sampler class? You’ll learn more skills and have 2X more water time to learn and practice.