Learn to surf epic waves in Seattle! Beginner surfers will learn the basics of surfing a SUP in a safe and friendly environment. Experienced surfers will learn new tricks and how to keep your surf skills fresh in between coastal trips. Freighter waves originate from passing ships that push waves towards beaches on Shilshole Bay during specific tide levels. Waves vary from knee to chest high and can go for over an hour after a single boat has passed. Take advantage of this unique class as few other locations in the North America have this specific set-up for riding good sized waves from container ships.
Our patient expert instructors will work with you to teach how to paddle out over waves, choose where to take waves from and how to pick the best waves to surf for your skill level. You’ll learn how to fall safely, turn and avoid collisions with other surfers using Surfer’s Etiquette. You’ll learn about gear, clothing and how to surf in the Pacific NW. You’ll also receive a Freighter Surfing Manual to learn more about these waves and how and where to catch them on Puget Sound.
- Learn how to surf your paddle board
- Catch more waves with smart wave selection, timing and placement
- Get bomber stability skills in the surf zone
- Learn to surf your race and downwinding board
- Save energy by learning easy turning techniques
- Get along with others as a SUP ambassador using Surfer’s Etiquette
- Get more waves learning to surf small boat wakes in between freighters
- How to choose the best equipment and clothing for NW surfing
- Find out when and where to surf boat and ship wakes on Puget Sound
Who Should Attend?
Advanced beginners (Level 2) and above. You should be comfortable paddling over boat wakes standing and paddling in wind. You should be in good physical shape as surfing can be exhausting.
Already a Surfer? These waves will keep you in shape when you can’t get to the coast. We’ve been stumped at the coast and sometimes have had better success in Seattle! Stable displacement boards welcome. We require that prone surfers take our SUP Basics or SUP Sampler class to learn basic SUP turns and the forward stroke.
Class size 1-4 People. * FREE Follow-up Class for students who don’t catch a wave during their first class.
Bringing your own gear? The best SUPs for these classes are stable surf style boards as well as stable displacement boards to 17 feet. Leashes and PFDs required (Shilshole Bay is considered a flat water location by the CG). Wetsuits required Fall – Spring.