Try out SUP with our 90 Minute Basic Class on Shilshole Bay. This class is a quick introduction to the sport, and includes the essentials to get you started. Learn basic techniques from a friendly certified instructor to get acquainted with paddle boarding while gaining confidence on the water. We’ll discuss different types of paddling gear, show you how to carry your board, choose the best locations to paddle in, stand up, brace for balance, 2 turns, an efficient forward stroke, directional control, and how to fall and get back on your board easily. You’ll also learn how to paddle over boat wakes, in wind, and about making sound decisions when dealing boats and marine weather. See harbor seals, marine life, bald eagles and Olympic Mountain views. Depending on conditions, you’ll paddle in Shilshole Marina, to Discovery Park or to the Chittenden Locks. For beginners or those seeking a refresher course.
This is a group class of 2-4 people. The fee is per person and includes free use of all paddling equipment – Board, paddle, leash, lifejacket, wetsuit and booties.
-How to stand up
– directional control – 2 turns
– how to stop, paddle sideways & backward
– an efficient forward stroke
– water safety & basic marine navigation
– learn about paddling clothing and gear
– balance and bracing techniques
– how to install a fin and leash
– how to paddle over boat wakes
– how to paddle in wind
– how to paddle prone and sitting
– how to fall and get back on your board
– how to carry your board
– how to tie a board on your car
After learning basic paddling techniques you’ll go for a paddle to try out your new skills. We can help with car loading and choosing gear. A great refresher!