SQL provides powerful but reasonably simple tools for data analysis and handling. This bootcamp will take absolute beginners through the basics of SQL to an ability to write queries with confidence. We will use a combination of lecture and in-class exercises to ensure that students leave with a working grasp of SQL fundamentals.
- Background on SQL
- Basic SELECT-FROM-WHERE statements
- LIMIT clauses
- Math operations and constant expressions in SELECT statements
- Booleans and complex conditions in the WHERE clause
- Pattern matching in the WHERE clause
- NULL values
- JOIN operations
- Grouping and aggregations
- HAVING clauses
- ORDER BY clauses
Prereqs & Preparation:
Basic technical aptitude and orientation to computers, and curiosity to learn new tools. Willingness to learn about a text-based/principle driven analytic tool with little real GUI support, and determination to push through the natural frustration of confronting new concepts.
Please bring your laptop. Instructions on how to install PGAdmin III will be sent prior to the bootcamp.
About the Instructor: Matthew Morris
I love answering tough questions. Researching and finding impossible answers is a thrill for me. I have been working with data for 16 years in many roles revolving around the same thing; Make the data meaningful and consumable for the client; Show them something cool. I believe nobody knows the business better than the business and am I an advocate for the business community being trained, listened to and guided into the world of advanced analytics.
- Languages: SQL(Expert), PigLatin(Intermediate level), Python(Basic level)
- Applications: Cloudera, Tableau, Essbase Application Manager, Showcase, Captivate, Articulate
- Experience: Advanced Analytics, Business Intelligence, Technical Training, Business Liaison
- Areas of Business: Merchandising, Human Resources, Accounting, Marketing